Mrs. ROBERTA LEE CHARPENTIER
2020 – present
Consultant, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Mongolian National University of Arts and Culture, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
2018 – present
Instructor (part time), German-Mongolian Institute for Resources and Technology–Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
2018 – 2019
Visiting Scholar and Advisor, Department of Research and Innovation, Mongolian National Defense University, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
2015 – 2017
Director, Department of Faculty Human Resources, University of Humanities, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
2012 – 2016
Director, Academic Programs, American University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
2011 – 2012
Visiting Scholar, Mongolian Studies Institute; and Consultant, Office of International Affairs, National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
2009 – 2011
Director, Overseas Office, American Center for Mongolian Studies (ACMS), Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
2007 – 2008
Associate Instructor, Central Eurasian Studies Department, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA
Research Assistant, Inner Asian and Uralic National Resource Center, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA
2005 – 2007
Program Officer, Office of Vice President for International Affairs, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA
2001 – 2003
Head, Clinical Department Review Program, Office of the Dean, Harvard University Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
1997 – 2001
Administrative Director, Department of Medicine, HRCA – Harvard Affiliated Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
1995 – 1997
University Lead, LCME and NEASC Accreditation Review/Medical School Curriculum Coordinator, Office of the Dean and Vice Chancellor for Education/Office of Medical Education, respectively, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA, USA
1990 – 1995
Associate Director, Planning and Administration, Institute on Aging, Allegheny Health, Education and Research Foundation, Pittsburgh•Philadelphia; Associate Director, Center for Gerontological Research, Medical College of Pennsylvania/ Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
1980 – 1990
Assistant Director, Institute on Aging, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
1977 – 1981
Senior Research Technician, The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Invited Lecturer, “Mongolia’s Contact with Central Eurasia: Past, Present, Future,” Department of Political Science, Kuwait National University
Invited Lectures, Doctoral Student Program, Anthropology Department, National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, “The Anthropology of Borders” and “Original Sources in Translation: The Use of Historical Cases in Anthropology”
Invited Lecturer, Young Leaders Program, Northeast Asia Economic Forum, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, “Sino-Mongolian Relations to the Late Qing Period”
Invited Lecturer: Academy of Management, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, “Lessons from the Past on Leadership in Mongolia: Emchi Ghabang Sharab’s History of the Four Oirats”
Research Presentation: 9th Annual Central Eurasian Studies Society Conference, Washington, DC, "The Rise and Fall of the Oirats in Emchi Ghabang Sharab’s History of the Four Oirats"
Research Presentation: 14th Annual Association of Central Eurasian Studies Conference, Bloomington, IN, “On the Confluence of Colonialism and Uti Possedetis in the Qing Western Borderlands,” Panel on “Inner Asian History,”
TEACHING EXPERIENCE /Courses/
- European History, GMIT
- Intercultural Competence and Communication, GMIT
- English, B2, GMIT
- English, Post-Baccalaureate Program, University of Humanities
- Inner Asian History, Indiana University
- Writing Research Papers for International Publications, International Conference Presentations, Research Design - Mongolian National University of Arts and Culture, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Academic English, Research Design, Publishing in International Journals, International Conference Presentations, Mongolian National University of Defense, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Director, Short Course on Elements of Academic Success in International Institutions of Higher Education, School of Physics, National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Workshops (Faculty Research Development)
- Mendeley, Academic English, Journal Clubs - Mongolian National University of Arts and Culture, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Grant Applications for International Funding, Writing Your Research for Publication in International Journals, Presenting Your Research at International Conferences, GMIT, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Cristofalo, V.J., Palazzo, R., and Charpentier, R.L. 1979 Chronologic vs replicative lifespan in human cell cultures: a reexamination. The Gerontologist 19:59.
- Vorbrodt, A., Charpentier, R.L., and Cristofalo, V.J. 1979. Effect of cell density and senescence of WI-38 cells on cytochemically demonstrable phosphatases. Mech. Aging and Develop.,11: 113-125.
- Cristofalo, V.J., Palazzo, R., and Charpentier, R.L. 1980. Limited lifespan of human fibroblasts invitro: metabolic time or replications? In: Modern Aging Research 1: Neural Regulatory Mechanisms During Aging (R.C. Adelman, J. Roberts, G.T. Baker, III, S.I. Baskin and V.J. Cristofalo, eds.), Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York, pp 203-206.
- Cristofalo, V.J. and Charpentier, R.L. 1980. A standard procedure for cultivating human diploid fibroblast-like cells to study cellular aging. J. Tissue Culture Methods, 6: 117-121.
- Chang, T.H., Mitchell, K.F., Charpentier, R.L., and Cristofalo, V.J. 1982. Changes in surface antigen expression associated with SV40 transformation of human fibroblast cell lines. In Vitro 18: 282.
- Tan, K.B., Borun, T.W., Charpentier, R.L., Cristofalo, V.J., and Croce, C.M. 1982. Normal and neoplastic human cells have different histone H1 compositions. J.Biol. Chem. 257: 5337-5338.
- Nichols, W.W., Cristofalo, V.J., Toji, L.H., Greene, A.E., Aronson, M.M., Dwight, S., Charpentier, R.L., and Hoffman, E. 1983. Characterization of a new human diploid cell line - IMR-91.In Vitro, 19: 797-804.
- Kator, K., Cristofalo, V.J., Charpentier, R.L., and Cutler, R.G. 1985. Dysdifferentiative nature of aging: passage number dependence of globin gene expression in normal human diploid cells grown in tissue culture. Gerontology 31: 355-361.
- Cristofalo, V.J., Charpentier, R.L., and Phillips, P.D. 1994. Serial propagation of human fibroblasts for the study of aging at the cellular level.In: Cell Biology: A Laboratory Handbook. Academic Press, Inc., New York, Vol. 1, pp. 313-318.
- Cristofalo, V.J., Charpentier, R.L., and Phillips, P.D. 1998. Serial propagation of human fibroblasts. Section I: Senescence and Apoptosis. In: Cell Biology: A Laboratory Handbook, 2nd edition. Academic Press, Inc., New York, Vol. 1, pp. 321-326.